Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Notions

Greenberg & Hammer is where everybody, who does anything with costumes, goes to get notions.

Notions, in the sewing world are things like; thread, needles, bias tape, elastic, buttons, boning, bust pads, cording, piping, elastic, grommets, hooks & eyes, buckles, pins, pin cushions, rhinestones, ribbon, snaps, velcro and zippers.

When I lived was a young performance & costume artist in NYC, I would wander down to Greenberg & Hammer, from my apartment in Hell's Kitchen, to pick up threads, needles, elastic, buttons & zippers.

As a mascot maven for the past bazillion years I've been ordering grosses of super duper whopper poppers (really, really, really big snaps) in silver or black fro 20 years - also curved needles and milliner needles and head forms.

I just went to Greenberg & Hammers website because I need to order a head form for a mascot head. Theire webpage is now just a Wordpress blog. the greenberg & Hammer, that used to be a few doors away from 57th & 5th in NYC is gone.

I'm in mourning.

No comments:

Post a Comment